Yesterday was Saint Francis' Day.
On this day we honour creation and bless the animals.
and it is a big but....
have we thought about where our food comes from?
Did you know:
- Increasing commercialisation and industrialisation of our food chain has led to "Factory Farming"
- Even people engaged in food production have become separated from the animals which insure their livelihoods
- Your pets have legal rights.
- Industrial animals don't.
- If you eat pork, do you know about sow crates?
- Are you aware of how cows are milked for mass consumption in the 21st century?
- Do you know what veal is?
- Most industries in the primary production of our food have industry standards.
- In practise, what has occurred is that primary producers negotiate very low standards for their industries.
- Primary industry is organised so that it is has close relationships with governments.
- This means close relationships with Agriculture and Primary Industry Ministers, Departments, bureaucrats.
- This has resulted in a situation wherein if a Primary Producer is taken to Court for cruelty to industrial animals, the Producer can claim that industry standards have been maintained. This is a legal defence to the charges.
- Your domestic cat, dog, and guinea pig have more rights than this!
Working with farming industries - RSPCA
Regulation of Animal Welfare in Australia - Steven White - Federal Review
Australian Animal Welfare Law and Cruelty in the Context of Production Animals -
Australian Law Society
Animals Australia - Animal cruelty
Please go to the link above for many articles on this topic